Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thank you, South Dakota

Thanks to the state of South Dakota, I think I may have found my new favorite recipe for cookies this summer.  My son Jackson just gave his 5th grade report last week on the good ol' state of South Dakota.  So we googled some recipes and up came South Dakota Sunflower Seed Cookies.  Why sunflower seeds you ask?  Because South Dakota ranks number two in sunflower seed and oil production in the United States (yup, I also learned alot from his report).  We served them to the class with a cold glass of milk.  Which by the way, is South Dakota's state beverage. 
South Dakota Sunflower Seed Cookies
1 1/2 cups margarine, softened
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds
Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream sugar and butter or margarine. Add flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Then add coconut and sunflower seeds. Mix well.
3. Shape into one inch balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 15 minutes or until delicately browned.  Serves 36.
I chose South Dakota for my 5th grade report as well.  But I didn't a draw a picture of Mount Rushmore as good as this one.
I told Jackson that now that we've both done a report on South Dakota, we'll have to go there.  Not only have I found a new fav cookie, but a new vacation spot as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment