Today marks week one of Oreo the mouse taking up residence in my car. Unfortunately he still resides there. How do I know he is still alive? I go out to the car each night to see if he has died from heat exhaustion and I can hear him running through the side of the car. I have also heard him in the speaker area. I mean really, he has it pretty good...air conditioning, music, food. We have been leaving him food and water at night to try and lure him out into one of several traps. We have tried a live trap with peanut butter and several eagle scout worthy homemade traps with sunflower seeds which he seems to prefer but nothing has worked. My friend and I held a stakeout a few nights ago, waiting with flashlights and a bucket to trap him when he ran out to get food. We heard him scurrying around, but no Oreo. The idea of a "real" (if you know what I mean) mouse trap has been suggested but I don't think I can bring myself to kill him....just yet. Am I scared each time I get in the car? Sure. Do I have nightmares that I will be driving 75 mph down the freeway and he will run up my pants? You bet. I just want to hold off a little longer though in hopes that he will take the bait and become an official member of the family, in a cage where he belongs.
Homemade trap #1. The Ramp Trap. A cardboard ramp in which the mouse falls into the jar with seeds inside. What mouse wouldn't want to dive into seeds? Apparently, not Oreo. The other trap in this picture is a live trap with a glob of peanut butter inside. He didn't take the bait on that one either.
Homemade trap #2. The Eagle Scout Trap. Complete with a string tied to the sunflower seed, tied to hook, tied to a small stick propping the trap up. Once he starts running out with the seed the stick falls and he is trapped inside. Somehow he managed to get the seed out but obviously didn't get trapped. Kudos to my hubby for coming up with these ideas (even though the mouse hasn't been caught) This is what being an Eagle Scout is all about.
Last night we had 3 traps set out. But no mouse. Tonight the plan of attack is borrowing our neighbors night vision, motion camera to record what is going on. I think I may have way too much time on my hands...
No comments:
Post a Comment